Sunday, June 10, 2007

Goldfish

I have always been one to treasure the beautiful, but the rarity of the treasure for a long time mattered as much as the beauty. There has always been one exception to this rule: the common goldfish. I first started keeping these fish in third grade, when I got a tub pond in exchange for a birthday party. My first set of fish all died, because I had no idea that chlorine killed fish-or, for that matter, that chlorine was added to our water. Suffice it to say, this was the start of me painstakingly researching every one of my pets before getting them, besides the ones acquired unexpectedly.
The past aside: I have never read this anywhere else, but my goldfish appear to school. Perhaps it is due to the size differences that have always been present; Big Fat(got him, who was most likely a her, when I was in third grade) always led the pack, at 8 inches and a particularly big belly. When whatever horrible, dirty, rotten animal ate my baby, one fish rapidly got bigger than the others and took over as leader. Now the others feel lost and skittish when he(she) isn't in their tank. The leader has alot of control, as I used to watch big fat herd the other fishes around, sometimes bullying the bigger ones after they got a certain amount to eat. Really, I am curious here.

No comments: