Monday, July 13, 2009

Computer Love(and Diva Cups)

I have a love-hate relationship with my computer. Computers provide access to tons of information, the news, television, movies, and my friends. They used to provide me access to games, but I haven't played one in the longest time. I only interrupted my long dry spell to play Age of Empires I, but I started in the "Nomad" age where the computer glitched and didn't even build a town center. Thus went an hour and a half of my life.

In a tangent, play is an important part of life as it engages the player inside the system, but I dislike how limited computer games can be. In AOE no volcanoes are going to blow up your palaces, mimicking the downfall of the Minoans.

However, for all the reasons listed in the first paragraph, computers can be extremely addictive and provide the illusion of growth. Almost nothing available online gives the exhaustive treatment to a subject that books provide besides e-books, of course. Also, I adore the sun and actually visiting places.

I hate the feeling of being trapped at the computer that I sometimes get.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initial reactions to the Diva Cup:
It is painful to put this in right after showering(if you're a woman you can probably guess why without my being overt). Otherwise, it's actually pretty easy to deal with. Beware thumb nails.

After all this time using pads and on rare occasion, tampons, the Diva cup is a vast improvement. I did not realize how psychosomatic some aspects of periods are until using this, which I cannot and you are not supposed to, feel. I feel like a normal, competent, uninhibited person. The feminist side of me is a little enraged to discover how easy the solution is and does feel as though I have been put down all of these years by inferior products. I can do anything with ease and cannot stress how wonderful it is to not worry about accidents.

Plus it is environmentally friendly and actually saves money. So far it seems like my kind of product, though I did put it in after two days, missing the most troublesome of my cycle.

PS, did you know that silicone is used in many hair products, including shampoo and conditioner?

I will keep you updated.

2 comments:

Jane said...

I cant believe youre now just trying the divacup! i love it, except i'm totally skipping periods altogether now heh.

there's a few good resources out there on lj and other sites for women using cups on how to insert and all that stuff.

SchizotypalVamp said...

The instructions that come with the cup are pretty thorough-I think they also have a copy on the site.

Hormones and I do not agree or I would perhaps be doing the same thing.

I know, I know :P. I heard about it first around a year ago and wondered if it was valid or a recipe for UTIs without really doing any research. Now that people are consistently referencing it with "I love my" usually in front I thought I'd give it a try.

This and messenger bags are two trends I completely agree with. Everyone in LA has a messenger bag, which is ironic because I recently started looking for one. But good for you LAeans! They are really practical!

(Yes, I remember you've had one since forever)