Thursday, July 9, 2009

Progress

Star Trek predicts the 1990s are a time of bloody world war and our first space travel. We may not be colonizing other planets, but this is because we instead "chose" to make scientific, medical, and engineering progress, this choice, of course, being the result of various social and political pressures. The things science is now accomplishing were a dream in the 1960's and are in many ways simply amazing.

I find that, in a way, Star Trek is more of a scientific fairy tale than science fiction. Scenarios may utilize science at times, but this is far outweighed by the number of unscientific and improbable elements involved in many episodes so far. This is not to say that the scenarios have not been clever and interesting to watch. I find that I am really enjoying the show, and am almost finished with the first season. Since every episode is fifty minutes in length I cannot watch more than one per day, and two is stretching things.

People have treated space as the frontier, but what about the internet? We need more novels like this.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When a significant other is having a difficult experience it is not right to abandon him or her even if the experience is affecting the relationship. Examples of difficult experiences include finding a job or prolonged illness. It is only if the affected partner makes no effort to recover that perhaps action is necessary. Being critical is in fact counter-productive because in addition to the initial stressor the affected partner has to cope with the disapproval of her significant other while the "support group" affect of partnership is negated. If your partner is going through a difficult time, please attempt to put yourself in his or her shoes.
Yes, there is a story behind this paragraph, but I am not willing to share it. No, the inspiration was not Chris.

I dislike it when individuals claim to constantly be "calling people out" as this generally implies a sense of their being superior to the general population. This method is tends to be ineffective due to the extremely blunt and sometimes condescending way in which it is usually used which makes the actual message get lost in communication. People are not generally receptive to profanities or tones which imply they are being talked down to. Furthermore, the general implication is that people are liars or do not know how to analyze their own feelings or minds.

When someone does deserve to be "called out", most of the time he or she is not going to be receptive to the truth and it is better to trust that life and experience will show it to him rather than attempt to win a fruitless battle of words. There are few cases where this is false.

2 comments:

KG said...

The first part of the entry reminds me of something I've read in a book ("Alternate Realities" by C. J. Cherryh), in which the author asks (the reader or herself, I'm not sure) what science fiction novels will be about when we actually get out into space--since a lot of the science fiction will have become reality. She then went on to write a story which involved a kind of alien I'd never read about in any other book.
But it did make me wonder what the new science fiction would be. I imagine a lot of it would still incorporate aliens and such (although if we ever meet them, our perceptions of what aliens ought to be might change), but there would have to be new things besides just stuff in space. Science fiction involving the internet seems to me like it could either lead to "uncharted cyberspace" or self-aware robots, although you might have been thinking about something else entirely. I have read, in one book, about an entity that could loosely be based on the internet/self-aware robot concept, but definitely not really the same thing.
...uh. I don't know where I was going with this. But I do hope, if I become a prolific writer, to explore types of science fiction not-yet thought of.

SchizotypalVamp said...

I may have to check this book out. Also, I wonder why we don't deal more with exo-bacteria and suc h things.

Thanks for the interesting comment. The only novel I know about this sort of thing is Neuromancer, but it has a ton of innaccuracies. I would prefer a more accurate novel about the internet.