Monday, March 16, 2009

So I recently discovered a site called Gawker which I now read sporadically for the snarky comments. Though it is a news source I prefer to get the stories directly from the routers, so it's mostly a source of entertainment.
Anyway, Gawker has a love-hate relationship with an internet personality named Julia Allison who is one of those people famous for doing absolutely nothing. As far as I know, at one point she was a sex columnist who is now trying to eek out a living as Carrie Bradshaw 2.0 while crashing a variety of parties. Gawker repeatedly reports on her, though why they do, as some commentators have pointed out, if they truly believe she is an irrelevant personality, is questionable. However, the posts on her seem to get a lot of hits, so she is probably simply entertainment fodder for them.
I was wondering what all the fuss was about, so as part of relaxation time I decided to visit her page and company, Nonsociety. Here are some of the gems I found:

"Nonsociety and Axe: Join forces to solve the hair crisis!"

"The Internet audience doesn’t demand high quality for original online content. It just needs to be entertaining. So why are people pouring six figures into online series (Dr. Horrible by Joss Whedon) when you can spend less than half that and be just as popular?"

"Advertisers and sponsors have to come onboard to fuel your fire. But with their head in the traditional tv/print campaign model, how do we convince them the Internet is where the cool kids hang out."

"I’ll admit to not enjoying Will Ferrell movies, but I don’t find these web shows funny…at all. Am I missing something? Did the botox eat up part of my brain? Any and all explanation would be helpful. Thanks.

The five web shows are:
Childrens’ Hospital
Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog
The Guild
Onion News Network
You Suck at Photoshop"

(incidentally, this last one is quoted from Mary, not Julia)


This isn't even including the live webcast, which, in Julia's case, seems to be full of lip dubs . Meghan is the only one with anything remotely interesting to say IMO, and actually linked to something interesting: Jasmax




No comments: