Thursday, August 27, 2009

Gypsies and Black People

I never got a chance to include this in my trip diary.

On the train in Rome we met Gitanas , Gypsies. Everyone had crowded away from them on train. On the Eurostar we were advised to keep away from them. "Don't trust the Gitanas. They have no fear."

I don't know if gypsies still are masters at theft. It makes me sad, though, to see this alienation of a culture, a people, because of a stereotype. It upsets me to see this discrimination.

Black people are seemingly not integrated in Venice and Florence, for the most part. The only place I ever saw them was at the side of the road selling knock-off bags.

I hate bigotry.

2 comments:

KG said...

You should meet my mother.
She believes that the Jews are controlling the media and intend to take over the world or something because they acquired superhuman money sense due to being the accountants of the Egyptians.

SchizotypalVamp said...

That is so funny in a grim way.