Saturday, August 29, 2009

Laughing at Myself

I like the morality in kid's books. The humor, the decisions, and the personalities can all be tiring, but all the books I was fond of as a child preached tolerance, preserving life when able, and creativity. No personal agendas are pushed, like Tolstoy's love of Christianity-the man can write a novel, an exploration of human nature, in every sense of the word, but why did he have to end that one with propaganda? I love adult books, but it's nice having solid ground, so to speak, where these tend to be full of shades of gray. To, also, at least pretend that people can be taken by their better emotions.

I started re-reading this book called "Enchantress from the Stars". It's a kid's book, but it isn't. It reminds me of something I would write in my spare time as fun. It deals with a highly-advanced race posing as enchantresses and magicians on a world in the equivalent of the middle ages when an imperial, newly-interplanetary race starts to take their planet over in the name of their empire.

So many personal universes, so little time. I love reading the great books because of their nature and depth, but exploring someone's raw creative output can be fun, too.

No comments: