Thursday, August 20, 2009

Taking a Boat, Train, and Plane: Literally

Side Note: Everyone seems to think that we were either British or Indian in Italy.

Today we went to the airport in a water taxi. Venice is beautiful, chock full of history from foundations to roofs, and I am definetly coming back there again. The buildings are so old and reused in so many ways because of necessity. Here is where the ghost of Titian is supposed to live; here Wagner gathered inspiration. Perhaps Venice's decay is a symbol of the place great art has in the world today, though in my opinion the bricks and age make the buildings even better in most cases. Venice is better taken care of than Rome and Florence, though. At least it has the glass and lace industries producing new works, whereas the other cities seem to be depending on tourism. We bought an awesome book about legends/folktales/history of Venice, which I read on the plane.

Coming back to the UK made me extremely happy, though. The systems here are so much more efficient. For example, to check in Venice airport the entire flight has to wait in one queue. It was extremely easy and cheap to go by public transportation the equivalent of two hours driving, besides a few flights of stairs which we had to haul suitcases up. Two nice men helped us at one point. I've met a lot of nice Italians, French, and British people on this trip who have made this easier on us.

My cousin took my mom, aunt, and I for a walk through the forest and cemetary in the back of her house. Seeing the momentos on the graves made me wonder if my sentimentality is already building mine, brick by brick. I don't know how to express what I mean in this case.

We came back home, talked, and are now relaxing.

2 comments:

KG said...

Wow, I almost posted a comment with Jasmine's email.
Anyway.

I've wondered what it'd be like for me to visit another country. Reading this post makes me wonder what country people would think I am from. Korea? China? I remember my psychology professor gave me a confused look when I said I'm Asian and she told me she thought I was Hispanic.
On the other hand, I might be 'American' enough for it to be obvious.

SchizotypalVamp said...

I think the accent gives it away. I have a slight British accent at times which has been exaggerated here, and obviously Italians don't have the ear for English a native speaker would. Also,there are a lot of Indians in Britain.

Though a snap judgment may be wrong...and I don't have an Indian accent...