Saturday, August 8, 2009

Please Mind the Gap Between the Train and the Station

Today I woke up from a series of reoccurring nightmares where I woke up too late to go to to the British Museum and had to go socializing instead to my mom handing my chocolate milk and saying "Get ready, we have to go to the Museum". We went and saw the Grecian art section. Words can't describe these artifacts. One day Grecian statues are going to just get up and walk while proclaiming that cannons and age have just given them more beautiful gravity with gracious arrogance. There is something about them that I have never seen in other statues. We also saw plenty of Myceanean and Minoan art, which was even more pleasing about reading about them, and parts of one of the former wonders of the ancient world. I was so freaking happy. I love the British Museum so much. It's the freaking Parthenon, people! Sometimes I just want to shout at everybody. "Don't you get the SIGNIFICANCE?" "Don't you see how beautiful these things are?" "Don't you get how people carved these works of art without half the tools we have today?" It seems like so many people just see these things without seeing them because they feel they should. Pictures will be added soon.

Then started the train ride to Heathrow to meet my aunts, which was an hour and a half long. On the train I realized that we had bought day passes for zone 1-4 and Heathrow was in zone 6. When we got out we nearly got fined 50pnds each. We then took the bus, which didn't give us help and dropped us off seven stops too late. We had to wait for the next bus, which we nearly had to pay for. Needless to say, everyone was very, very upset at the end. "Are you guys hungry?" my aunt asked. "And angry!" I said. Everyone laughed and the tension diffused. I don't look foward to the day when I'm too old to technically do that. We talked to my two aunts for a while, took pictures then headed home and watched The Queen, which was excellent.

1 comment:

KG said...

The title of this entry reminds me of Neverwhere.

According to my latest art history teacher, the Parthenon is actually really boring. Although she did not show pictures of the inside for some reason that I am not aware of.