Wednesday, August 5, 2009

UK Trip, Day 1

So today was very hectic. Our flight was at 7:50pm, but Primetime(an airport taxi which picks multiple people up from their houses and takes them to the airport) was going to arrive at our house at 3:40pm. As a result, we were basically in a rush to do last minute housework all day and take Snuggles to the vet. I also was trying to put an extra movie onto my computer but my mom’s compy refused to cooperate. There was a lull in activity around 3:40pm, when Primetime had called and said it was going to be at our house at 4:05pm.

Mom and I are worried about the kittens. They may not want to be picked up, but they love attention and are sweet and obedient. We hope they will be alright for the time we are gone.

Checking in took a longer time than it should have considering we were second in line. Thankfully, they took our bags instead of making us go in that annoying extra line which I hate. Everything else went smoothly and we ended up at the gate an hour and a half before departure. I dislike the fact that airports think people should pay for internet access, but I’m glad they provide free chargers. Stupid me forgot to mention getting an AC/DC converter before the flight. I love this laptop, as it helps make me productive and useful while giving me access to music.

Our seats on the plane got switched at the last moment much to mom’s chagrin, but dad was right in front of me and mom beside me.

The planets are so easy to spot from a plane.

I did bunch of work on the plane, followed by eating and falling asleep. My mom had accidentally forgotten to order a vegetarian meal for me, so I had to eat the tray. When I woke up the plane was twenty-five minutes from landing. We were early at the gate, but the gate was not ready for us and they had problems with the jet way, so we ended up getting into the airport a little late.

Airplanes really are well constructed. I don’t mean that sarcastically.

Into customs we went. Forty-five minutes later we went and picked up our suitcases, which were one of the few left. This is why my parents need to walk faster. I may not be that fast, but compared to them I am. Heathrow’s bathrooms are really, really clean.

We had a lot of fun after this, because we weren’t sure if my cousin Sharon was picking us up or sending a taxi. We tried calling her a million times, but to no avail. We were finally forced to take a taxi, which ended up charging us double the amount usually charged. I fell asleep in the cab from the warmth.

We finally reached Sharon’s house, which is a pretty brick(like most of London) residence with a park in the back, and a cemetery in back of that. I’ve been there before and it’s not bad at all, but I’m still a little freaked out by sleeping here on principle. She has a cat named Ella who seems very sweet and has converted Sharon and Rosabelle(my aunt) to cats. We went to a pub to eat dinner, where I got scampi, and then went to ASDA. ASDA is a huge grocery store that got bought out by WalMart. The store is huge, and carries a lot of of familiar and unfamiliar brands. There were no movies that I was not familiar with, which was dissapointing. The cars here are also starting to resemble American make. Many are the same model now. I'm a little upset by this, honestly. Homogenity, smogenity, I like variety in the world.

People here dress basically the same as the States, but don't have perfect complexions. Obesity is also a problem in the UK just as in the US. In one day we were nearly malled by three drivers, and I'm hoping that isn't a generalization.

Anyways, showertime. I'll see you all tomorrow, with pictures.

No comments: