Friday, June 19, 2009

Body of Issues

"Run Fatboy, Run" was good, but did not live up to my expectations. A parody of the romantic comedy genre, it ends up simply being another movie in the genre instead of satirizing the films it sets out to. Part of the problem lies in the Rom-com itself since as the films become more and more ridiculous the greatest exaggerations would not seem out of place in a "serious" film.

One of my issues with makeup is the fact that if anyone complemented my beauty they would be commenting on the illusion I created and not my actual face. Makeup, Spanx, and other such products are supposed to be beneficial to self-esteem, but how can that be if the finished product is not the actual woman? The complement is towards an imaginary creation, not to the real person. Is it healthy to think that someone needs all those products to be beautiful? What about when a significant other realizes who is under them, someone not the person initially presented? I personally prefer to present myself. Pretty or ugly, take me or leave me, at least it's me who is being judged with my acne-scarred face. Speaking of judgment, I'm not passing any who do use those products. I'm just genuinely puzzled. I have some artistic tendencies which sometimes manifest themselves in the way I dress and, sometimes, eyeshadow, which apparently can require an amount of creativity. But for those who feel they have to put on makeup every day, I don't understand the reasoning. I could apply the blanket statements enculutration and low self-esteem, but I don't feel as if that's fair.

"You have such perfect skin", my first boyfriend crooned. I was shocked at the compliment because I really don't, especially from an objective standpoint. My face has acne scarring and the skin on my calves is cracked. I also have a huge scar down the middle of my chest, though he didn't know that. I could go on, but I don't want to; the point is that I'm not perfect myself. An interesting note is that he was not the last to repeat that compliment, and none of these people were trying to get in my pants.

I guessed what this means is that the right partners don't notice our physical imperfections nearly as much as we do.

When someone tells a man he is not pretty, it is a comment on his appearance. If someone tells a woman that she is ugly it is seemingly taken as a comment on her whole being, as though the person is invalidating her. This is dumb, and I refuse to buy into the latter.

1 comment:

KG said...

Jasmine doesn't wear any make-up except for eyeshadow stuff, and I never even thought that was necessary.
All this obsession with appearances never got ingrained into me (despite the fact that my mom is obsessed with how people look). I mean, maybe it's because I'm a guy? But I usually only change my appearance for convenience's sake.

Also, I don't think there is a such thing as "perfect". Skin or anything else.