Thursday, June 4, 2009

I Have Forgotten the "Art" Tag in a Bunch of Posts


For me, personal space is a necessity. I am one of those people who may appear messy, but are actually very organized. I have a folder with my medical records, household manuals, etc sorted into neat files and my shirts are all organized according to type. There just are a bunch of books on the floor and I tend to not hang up my clothes right away.

I've learned to let go of certain things. When we first moved into our house in Winnetka I started stealing books from downstairs and buying others, all of which accumulated in stacks along the side of the wall. My parents finally decided to buy me a bookcase, so I organized the non-fiction books by topic and the fiction books by date published. The fiction books took a very long time to sort, probably four or five hours at the least, and I could never keep their order straight(though when my mom used to throw books back on the shelves it resulted in several screaming matches). I now know the general area where a book is supposed to be and the structure is too much to keep track of, so I've stopped being as exacting about it. The same thing happened with my stuffed animals. I know you're mocking me now, but I will take your mental words with a quiet dignity. Wait, I already used that joke recently. I'm cornered! The moral of the story is to not use a system that requires being more organized than you wish to be.

I tend to create a "nest" where I spend most of my time. Why do I call it a nest? Usually it is in a narrow space on the floor that rapidly accumulates books, artwork, and various other random papers. I tend to have another "nest" on a couch. These two places are where I spend 95% of my time at home. No nest of mine has ever been on a desk. I don't use desks, and I don't particularly understand why, though the big black chair next to mine tends to make me fall asleep. I like the floor.

Flight of the Conchords-"What is Wrong with the World Today"

"There's people on the street getting diseases from monkeys
Yeah that's what I said, their getting diseases from monkeys
Whys this happening, please, whose been touching these monkeys
Leave these poor sick monkeys alone
There sick, they've got problems enough as it is"


I stopped by the Betta section today in Petsmart. There was a purple boy, a color I have never seen before in real life on a Betta. After finals I'm going to clean out the three gallon and put a Betta in it or something. Also, part of my dream last night involved choosing between a water dragon and a friendly salamander, but I decided to buy these small fish living in a "sustainable environment" they would obviously be dead in a week from.

Chris and I would always stop by the Bettas together in Petsmart. I would look at them and he would go "lo-ove", as if I was going to buy one, and I would get angry with him because I thought he thought I lacked the self control to keep myself from
getting one. Why can't it be "I love you, you love me" instead of "I love you, you love me, but we're really not right for each other so no amount of trying is ever going to make this work"?

We tried, we really did, and now it's time to try with other people. Or lock ourselves up in seclusion, which is what my preference is for the moment.

I feel sort of strange for liking the following two songs. The first is "So What" by Pink, which I've mentioned here before. It's extremely catchy, and Pink uses it as an opportunity to sing her heart(break) out. I can't embed the video, so click here to listen. While I've never particularly been a fan of Pink's music, she seems like a genuine enough musician, whatever that means. I don't have anything against her.

The second song, Jai ho, is more complicated. While I loved "Slumdog Millionaire", this song is a feat with The Pussycat Dolls. I hate this group because instead of actually making good music, they writhe around on stage going "Don't you wish your girlfriend was a skank like me?"*

*not the actual lyrics

And no, I'm not jealous of them. If I thought being a skank was cool, I'd be a skank. And if your boyfriend would leave you for a skank, dump him and re-evaluate your priorities. Unless...that makes you happy(?!).

So anyways, while the singer gyrates around, the voice synthesizer she's singing into makes her voice decent and this was obviously not arranged by them. And I like this song.
Again, I can't embed the video directly, so here you go.

The above photograph does not reflect how I feel in any way. I just thought it was very evocative.
Photocredit: ALBERTO PIZZOLI/AFP/Getty Images

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Afternoon

Can I link to this post please?

SchizotypalVamp said...

A bit late, but yes you may :)

Anonymous said...

Hi - I am certainly glad to discover this. great job!