Friday, June 5, 2009

Judge Not, Lest....













The second image is a scene from President Obama's visit to Merkel(credit to MICHAEL GOTTSCHALK/AFP/Getty Images) , the first persists from the beginning of the Iraq war to when I last visited England and was photographed by me(credit to me). I hope that when I visit England this time, it's gone. These are the signs that surrounded Parliment. It was jarring and disturbing to witness this protest first-hand, which has been there for a long time but goes nearly unreported in the USA. The uploaded picture is too small to see the signs saying "baby killers" and "Stop the genocide in Iraq" unless you click on it.

I am the strongest physically right now that I have ever been in my life. It's a good feeling to be able to do small things like carry groceries and bottles of juice home without relying on another person.

Astronomy, how I loved you and how I've neglected you. One day I will return, but for now I have to explore other subjects. Wouldn't that make a great nerdy metaphor? "Explore other subjects."

Is it just me, or has Livescience gone downhill?

The dream I woke up from(I know some of you may not enjoy these, and feel free to skip) was about moving to a video-gamish Albania, to the supposed house where Dracula still lived. A girl had survived for the entire day by staying silent, and it was my family's turn, for some reason. We tried to stay still and not create noise, but some of us were less disciplined than others. But even after all the ruckus, the bat had yet to show itself, though there was no daylight through the clouds to dust it if it did. Then for some reason it was Alaska and this was actually an appartment. Giles was there and we were trying to figure out a curse that had kidnapped Snuggles. We had four dogs and three cats, all besides Snuggles being left over from the previous owner, who stated that if she didn't know better the native bats would scare the bejesus out of her. Also, there was an aside about..turning docks into stables. I woke up before things could make more sense.

I am too tired to really do much tonight.

I live in fear of people to whom I'm just an expression of an opinion. I remember a friend of mine who is now openly bi asking me in high school what I thought about bi people. I said "Well, gay people are fine, but bi people are a little excessive". No mention of sexual fluidity and the fact that it is quite common, no mention of a scale, nothing. Just "bi people are a little excessive". Unfamiliar with what caused people to love in that way, I attributed it to wantoness, hedonism of spirit.

But some people don't come to understand how wrong judgments like this are. One characteristic can define one person to another. One attribute callously dashed off in a ten second judgment with no real understanding can lead to a lack of understanding, a lack of cause, a lack of acceptance.

I fear these people, the ones who say that gays choose, mental illnesses don't exist, and other wonderful things. They are so horribly close to touching me.

"Judge not, lest ye be judged..." But we're all judging each other and being judged. All of us hate it.

Writing this helps me remember that these people must be treated like people in themselves, and dealt with one at a time. That a life should not be lived in fear. These people will not win by being a great weight I carry along my back all the time that harries me constantly. I am not even in battle with them, because the air I breathe, the earth, the mind, space, are at least for now beyond their ultimate reach.

That was sort of cryptic, but it made me feel better!

No comments: