Friday, June 26, 2009

Origins

My family has a fascinating history. My great-grandmother was Middle Eastern; I can't remember what part of India my great-grandfather was from. It was these two who made the trip to Trinidad, then a British colony, following the promise of land and a better life. Why, and their original families, remains lost in history.
My father was born to a then-well-off family in Guyana. I don't know how or when his family ended up in the South American country. His dad never discussed this subject with him and so it remains a mystery to me.
Due to the various migrations and England's love of collecting colonies at the time I ended up with Indian, British, Caribbean, and Middle Eastern elements in my upbringing in addition to my Americanization. For some people, family history defines their identities, but for me it reinforced that the person I could be included a smorgasbord of people. In a way, my background is also painful because it gives a glimpse of how hard it is to truly understand and grasp the intricacies of another culture from outside of it, though I certainly try.
I also ended up with a American, Caribbean, and slight British accent.

Whenever people ask where I am from I feel obligated to give a small summary of these events which seem to pass over many individual's heads and summarize to "she's Indian". I'm not close to my Indian heritage, though I've read many sacred texts of cultures for unrelated reasons and can understand elements of the culture because of how it affected and has been passed on by my family. I don't know how to wrap a sari and neither of my parents are Hindu or Muslim, though being Hindu or Muslim as a religious identity is different from the cultural identity Indian; people seem to mix those up.

Throughout human history there seems to be a period of stratification into a king, nobles, craftsmen and artisans, and peasants in cultures which "advance" into civilization. Does this innately make sense to the human mind or is it simply the result of political pressures and a certain group of migratory humans? In this day and age we could say that Democracy innately makes sense to the human mind, but that would be ignoring the power struggles and history which led to this government gaining a foothold in world history. If other turns of events had taken place communism could be in its stead. Saying that a group of disparate humans developed this form of government would be negating the large influence of the Indo-European migration; much of what happened before that time is lost in prehistory. I, as probably you, can think of several logical reasons why this stratification makes sense, but that could be enculturation more than logic.
This argument is more of a devil's advocate position than anything I have developed into a thesis.

Ouch, Year One is getting panned on RT. So far it has a rating of 18%, extremely disappointing considering Jack Black, Micheal Cera, and David Cross are involved.

2 comments:

KG said...

Advertising often does bother me--especially considering how much I've learned about it from my visual communications classes.

Also another really cute animal is the "least weasel".

SchizotypalVamp said...

Looked up the least weasel-d'awwwwwww