Friday, June 5, 2009

Lab Friday(Dad's Birthday!)



This morning I had a lot of insomnia, followed by a version of this conversation at 7:45am:

"I'm so sleepy. I should really stay home and study for finals."
"You should go. Do your duty and go. You'll probably learn something."
"No, the bed is really comfy, and.."
"GO, or I'll hurt you"
"Wait, but wouldn't that just be hurting yourself?"
Pun intended completely.
Anyways, I went, chair-hunted, and listened as usual. Pablo presented a paper having to do with the fractal structure of neural systems and I, of course, was extremely interested. Which means that I am not returning my book on fractals on time. I've realized that I work better while doing artwork, and worked on the image to the right while everyone was doing their presentations. It's not perfectly the way I would like it, but I decided to be satisfied.
It's hard to not accidentally spy on what others are doing on their laptops. I dislike finding my eyes accidentally focused on a screen, going "Oh, he's checking his email". Also, I was signed on to Trillian and Dylan IMed me with the information that I was signing on and off at 2:30am, which I have to look in to.
We also watched the traditional UCSD "watermelon drop". Basically, the story is that after a bunch of physics students wanted to prove that they had the correct answer on a test question: "How fast would a watermelon dropped from the 7th floor hit the ground?" or something like that they...dropped a watermelon from the 7th floor of Urey hall. Anyways, considering how simple the solution would be to calculate using some of the first equations learned in mechanics, I think that either the story isn't true or the physics students really wanted to smash something. Either way, we were all on board with this plan, as was the large crowd down below and the jazz band(which brought back memories) Nobody calculated the velocity, but the chunks sure are propelled far. It was kind of creepily reminiscent of a human being. I thought I was just overly morbid until it turned out Rudolpho was thinking the exact same thing.
I then went to the library, where I spent an hour until I had to leave for my physical therapy appointment. My physical therapist is sick today, which is sad. Soon I'll have to leave the house again for another appointment.

I also called my dad, who had forgotten it was his birthday. My mom got him a cake, unidentified presents, and may be taking him out later, so I hope he has a great time. I have to buy him a late present in LA. Trust me when I say my dad would prefer my studying and reading to picking him out a present. Also, my mom informed me that the kittens ate without Gaiylee this morning for the first time.

If I make another post today it will be more interesting.

At the San Diego Natural History Museum:
Lecture and book signing with Bo Parfet.
Die Trying: One Man's Quest to Conquer the Seven Summits is the exhilarating story of one man’s battle against his own limitations. From dodging avalanches to crossing a ladder over a seemingly bottomless crevasse, to making his way through the Khumbu Icefall and burying a dead teammate at 27, 000 feet, we experience all of the author’s incredible, often terrifying climbs first-hand. Enlightening and gripping, Die Trying is the compelling story of man’s quest to conquer nature and his own fears. Each ticket includes a copy of Parfet’s book Die Trying. Ticket sales benefit the Sierra Club's Inner City Outings program and the San Diego Natural History Museum. Thursday, June 11; 6:30–8:30 PM
$25 per person

Go to their site to pre-register. I'm too lazy to link, but you must in order to attend.

No comments: