Wednesday, June 3, 2009

"She's so hot she's making me sexist. Bitch."

The above quote is from the "Flight of the Concords" episode "Brett Gives Up the Dream". If you are unfamiliar with this group it is a really funny comedy duo whom I would recommend.

The weather here has been interesting. We had some rain this morning, followed by sunshine, then more rain and lightning took place, then some large hail fell, and now the sun has come out again. I'm honestly glad this is taking place because this area really needs the water and the rain stopped the moment I left physical therapy(thank God for that bit of luck), but it has still been strange.

It's weird to think of candy manufacturers as being a cold-blooded industry. When I think of candy makers I picture tiny shops with sweet shopkeepers or Willy Wonka. There is an association of innocence with them in my mind; people doing their job to put a smile on children's faces, not corporate buildings and test subjects. I wonder why people go into the candy industry these day?

Frosty's post on her kitchen made me think about my own home. I live in a five hundred square foot studio, which actually is more than enough room. I have never felt cramped in here, though if I had to move all of my stuff into this place it would probably feel a lot smaller. So far, though, this apartment is the perfect size for all of my needs. This isn't a veiled criticism of Frosty, especially since I have a hard time imagining two people living in an apartment this size. I have no idea how the married couples who live in this building don't kill each other. It could be done, I think, but would require a lot of ingenuity and patience between the two people.

As mentioned before
, I lived for the most part in a similar space in the Winnetka house.

Wolfgang Puck potato soup is gooooood.

Here is an article linking to a PDF called "The Anti-Choice Handbook". It's a conglomeration of lies the anti-choice movement has concocted to feed to people college-aged and under, and is extremely scary. Don't believe me? Just click the links above, and here are some quotes from the articles:

"What I first learned was that Justice For All has no problem instructing its activists to use deception to lure people into a conversation. In the section titled "Why Don't You Pass Out Condoms and Promote Birth Control?," the authors tacitly admit that sensible people might be put off by the anti-choice movement's willingness to increase the abortion rate by standing as firmly against contraception, especially the birth control pill, as they do legal abortion. So instead of allowing members to admit their hostility to all forms of contraception, they instruct them to conceal their beliefs until a target has been softened up to hear about their true message--sexual abstinence for all not trying to procreate--through a series of dodgy, misleading arguments, including misinformation about how the birth control pill works. "

"....Despite this, Justice For All encourages its activists to believe they know better than medical doctors what constitutes a medically necessary abortion, and the handbook claims there is only one instance where a pregnancy can threaten a woman's life. Conveniently, the one dangerous condition they'll admit exists (and consider a justifiable reason for an abortion) happens to be the one that is most likely to threaten her future fertility--the ectopic pregnancy--so they can rest easy knowing that even if a woman's life is saved through abortion, she's paid a steep price. Other dangerous conditions caused by pregnancy--eclampsia and placenta previa being the two biggies--are dismissed as myths used to get away with abortions. Other life-threatening illnesses like cancer are ignored, and it's assumed that a woman's health is certainly an acceptable sacrifice for a pregnancy. "

2 comments:

A Serious Girl said...

:) The apartment we just moved out of was 250 sq ft. My bff said that if Mike and I could survive living there, we could survive living anywhere. The apartment we just moved into is probably more like 5 or 600 sq feet. HUGE UPGRADE.

SchizotypalVamp said...

Seriously? I think that I would have run out of the building screaming on more than one occasion. I think your bff is right.