Monday, June 15, 2009

Friender Gender

I will wait to see Terminator on DVD as it only got 33% on Rotten Tomatoes.

I saw "Volver" today. It was not what I expected, though fans of Amadovar's previous work will probably recognize his style. I enjoyed it.

Friends of friends are people who 's lives, stories, and histories you constantly hear about. Sometimes when adding someone on Facebook or Blogger these people are present and active on your friend's page and these individuals have a Blog or Facebook of their own.

But, since technically these people are strangers, it is awkward to friend or talk to them. What if the individual hasn't heard about you?

Friending someone on Facebook isn't a big deal and in fact is probably a good way to start at least an acquaintance ship accompanied by a note such as "Hey, I'm so-and-so's friend and I've heard some cool stories about you!(Don't worry, none of it's gossip.) ". Commenting on someone's blog is much more personal since it implies that a stranger is reading that person's thoughts, which is why I also tend to avoid stranger's personal blogs. While that's the risk taken when posting things on the internet it's creepy to have that fear directly confirmed.

While getting to know someone generally is done on a person-by-person basis, what to you do in situations like this? I have let go several potential friendships myself out of a fear of seeming awkward or strange.

In other news, it's sort of interesting how "them" is becoming the third person singular instead of "he or she". I'm a big believer in there being a third gender and in fact identify greatly with the notion. Should I be putting that on the internet? Probably not.

2 comments:

KG said...

At least in my present state of mind (which, disregarding occasional occurrences of great emotional passion of any sort, has been my state of mind for the past couple years or so), I tend to avoid seeking out the friends of friends unless said friend has directly introduced me to the friend of friend. I basically know very little about Jasmine's friends except what she has told me and virtually nothing about any other friends of friends (including your friends, I imagine) with the exception of some of Trevor's friends, with whom I communicate every now and then since we all use the same Ventrilo server. Although honestly, there is one friend of Trevor's that I would like to approach and have not had to opportunity, but this is for a personal reason.

Uh. But no, I don't go to their blogs or anything. I suppose I would actually be interested if I was interested in the actual person, but more likely than not I do not know the person's blog or they don't have one. I'm not so sure I'd be as bothered if a friend of a friend sought out my personal thoughts (although they wouldn't be able to anyway, but that's beside the point), mostly because I don't have a lot of personal thoughts to record. Or when I do I simply don't record them or make them absolutely private if I do.

When you say you identify with the notion, do you mean you identify with the third gender (as opposed to female, obviously)? Because I've always seen you as decidedly female in pretty much every respect.

SchizotypalVamp said...

I identify with the third gender as opposed to female, though I have a tendency to dress more feminine these days than anything else.