Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Working out is Tiring

Apparently L'oreal is installing a generator at their factory that will allow them to run the plant on methane gas from cow poop. This is an awesome idea, and I may switch shampoos because of it.

My physical therapist is very nice. We chatted and she recommended a steep hike called "The three sisters" which is about six miles from here.

I spent most of this afternoon reading things I have to read while relaxing in the sun. I really like the things I have to read. The Morphology of the Folktale is very interesting, though it is hard to make large judgments on something commenting on the overall structure of the fairy tale when I've never done a significant analysis myself. After all my reading in this area I feel as though I should be more qualified, but I'm not. Perhaps when the author applies his analysis to specific folktales I may have something interesting to say, but for now the best insight I can offer is how interesting it would be to twist this structure to fit a story with the feeling but not the reality of magic, such as someone from the far past discovering alien technology. I am sure that someone has done this before. Also, the author's methodology is refreshing, as he emphasizes over and over that the theory should conform to the material and not the other way around. I wish he didn't use Greek letters for functions since every time I see theta it's either polar or imaginary coordinates and neither pleases me.

There is a Muay Thai class at UCSD which it's too late for me to enroll in, but I really want to.

On Gawker there is an article where Madoff's secretary talks about how he was irresistible to women. A Gawker commentor pointed out that "For the rest of his life he's certainly going to be irresistible to men."

Edit:

The White House OSTP wants your opinion
Wednesday, May 6, 2009 7:21 PM
From:






Dear Marisa:

Barack Obama pledged to Science Debate that he would "restore the science integrity of government and restore transparency of decision-making..."

He has referred to this pledge several times since, most recently in his speech to the National Academies of Science. On March 9, the president formally asked the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy (OSTP) to make recommendations on how the executive branch can meet this pledge.

The OSTP has opened a public comment period regarding this directive, giving you the opportunity to share your thoughts on what the next steps should be. Comments are due by Wednesday, May 13.

The OSTP is looking for recommendations on the six issues President Obama identified in his memo:

  1. hiring and keeping qualified scientists
  2. defining new policies to ensure integrity
  3. using "well-established scientific processes" like peer review
  4. disclosing scientific findings
  5. ensuring that principles of scientific integrity are being adhered to
  6. adopting additional policies like whistleblower protections

The OSTP is accepting comments via email and through their blog, here.

Their original request for input can be found here (pdf).

No comments: