Friday, May 15, 2009

Sun God At UCSD:Or How Marisa Didn't Care

So like most tales of my life this one starts off with insomnia, which I had plenty of last night. Apparently, people had decided to start celebrating Sun God early because I was woken up at 3:00 am by giggling girls and boy in addition to my naturally occurring sleeplessness. I woke up at 7:30am, snoozed, then got out of bed and left for the lab meeting. Except that this Friday, there was no lab meeting. After realizing this I headed for the library, encountering a line a million miles long and five people wide. This was the line for armbands to get into Sun God*, which stretched at least half a mile in a conservative estimate. It went from Muir to Warren, if that means anything to you, and was still growing. I decided I was not going to spontaneously join in the celebration(couldn't have anyways, no tickets were left). I spent some time studying and then decided to double-check the non-existence of the lab meeting after trying to call Ilya. It was still not going, so after chatting with Rudolpho a bit I headed back to the library where I played around on my laptop and read The Morphology of the Folktale.

I left the library to go to lunch with Anthony but got a call almost immediately that he had completely forgotten about our get-together today and had to rush to meet his professor. I wasn't upset because these things do happen, and decided to head home at this point. As soon as I had hopped off the bus and the crazy who had taken an interest in me followed, Peter called. I had completely forgotten about our appointment at 2:00pm, so I went straight back up the hill. I decided I didn't want anything to eat and basically wasted the remainder of the hour. As I thought, Peter is gay, FYI. We actually spent a lot of this appointment discussing psychology, attitudes towards homosexuals in our culture and how NAMBLA dragged down the acceptance of gay rights in the 60's, among other things.

The Sun God had at this point long left the UCSD celebration and brought in his wing men, clouds and wind, to cover for him. That didn't stop people from celebrating, as was evidenced everywhere I looked. Usually I am not one to simply dismiss fun if it's harmless, but I really couldn't care less about the celebration at this point. Also, the frat guys who kept bumping fists and yelling "SUN GOD!" were annoying. People were hosing each other down and sliding on a tarp on the Muir quad, and many topless men abounded. Some guys tried to flirt with me and I ran away in fear. I noticed a lot of people looking at me today for whatever reason, perhaps because in a sea of short shorts and skirts I was wearing a sweater and long skirt. Or maybe it was my dashing good looks-let's pretend it was this.

The library was deserted when I went back inside after my tuna melt lunch. Finally, I left campus for my physical therapy appointment, which went well. I chatted with another patient and things were very relaxed. I feel like doing something social this weekend in addition to my work. We will see. Right now my mom is telling me about the striped cat that rubbed on my sandals snuggling with Gaiylee and how much less flighty Gaiylee has become.

*Sun God is a UCSD celebration involving, I quote "three distinct stages, vendor fairs, carnival activities, film, art, and so much more". Here are the bands playing this year(copied and pasted):
The Sun God Festival 2009 Lineup:

N*E*R*D
Iron And Wine
Girl Talk
Motion City Soundtrack
Sara Bareilles
Augustana
The Cool Kids
Grand Ole Party
Rootbeer
DJ Nu-Mark of Jurassic 5
Nosaj Thing
Anavan
Theory of Funkativity

with performance by:
Cirque Berzerk
Upright Citizens Brigade
+ countless student groups TBA!

No comments: