Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day


I love this quote from a Yahoo! news story: "Taliban spokesmen were not available for comment."

Today, after sleeping somewhat better last night and dreaming that I had an abusive boyfriend who turned in Castle and started stalking me, I woke up to hurting eyeballs. After snoozing in bed for a bit, I decided to go back to sleep. The only trouble was that I couldn't get up and ended up "napping" until around 2:00pm, at which point I finally managed to drag myself out of bed to almost immediately be phoned by my mother who wanted to know why I hadn't called her for Mother's Day. I got her a card and a present, although the present is going to be shipped to my parent's house sometime next week. The picture on the left is what I got her from Shana Logic. My mother loves cameos.

It's sometimes hard to separate your own taste from another person's. For example, my mom owns a lot of jewelry and a lot of clothes, and I don't understand why she keeps wanting more. But it's what makes her happy, and so it's what I'll buy her. I'm sure there is plenty she and other people do not understand about me.

I spent a large portion of the day reading on the patio. First I read the books for my project, then collected a few earlier poems from my old livejournal so that I could archive them. This was inspired by my sudden urge to write a poem, which I am not going to post here because thbbbbt. Also, it's on my laptop which is an enormous fifty feet away. I looked back on my sixteen-and- fifteen-year-old self and was glad to see that she at least sounded intelligent. I hope in my nineteen-year-old self does not disappoint, and I'm also curious as to how I will view the quality of my prose. Occasionally I will leave certain mistakes in my writing alone simply out of laziness, and I wonder how that will change my future self's opinion.

Besides that the day has mostly been routine, although I believe I will read a little bit more of The Call of the Toad tonight. I was thinking about some things earlier, but can't wrap my head around what at the moment. Anyways, I'm feeling pretty good.

No comments: