Sunday, May 3, 2009

Cleaning and German Tales

I remember reading the plot of the Nibelungenlied as a child. It was one of my least favorite stories because of how horribly depressing it was, which made such an impression on me that I may never read it as an adult. The ending is the wife of Siegfried locking all of the warriors who betrayed her husband in a hall and poisoning them.

Today I read some of The Ring of the Nibelung, studied quantum physics, did a lot of housework while watching "Bones", and exercised. Ammonia with surfactants is an excellent cleaner. My mom bought me some ammonia ($0.99 for about a gallon)when I was attempting to do a fishless cycle(Aquaria Central's server wasn't responding when I wrote this) which, unfortunately, well, contained surfactants. I decided to use it as a normal person might and was pleasantly surprised. Needless to say, however, my windows are open and I took two showers today.
I also use the "Greenworks" all-natural line from Clorox for extra irony, although if they came out with something that effectively cleaned floors I would use it instead. Their bathroom and glass cleaner work very well and their all-purpose cleaner works fine, although not as effectively as some other brands. What? I do live alone and do all my own cleaning, which also probably makes the layer of dust in the previous picture with Monkey self-explanatory. If you want to have an awkward conversation about the relative effectiveness of household cleaners, feel free to bring it up. I must also say that the microfiber cloth my mom bought me is the most effective duster I have used, including Pledge, and the most environmentally friendly.
If you are a man and are laughing at this point, let me tell you that one of the most unattractive things to many woman is a guy who won't do his share of the housework. I only clean up after myself because I have to and if somebody put me in charge of his or her mess in addition to my own I would turn into an axe murder overnight. Thankfully, I am with someone with whom that will never be an issue.
Significant others should never have to act as parents.

A good idea for a science fiction short story would be a love story between a human and an alien, emphasizing perception shaping the role of both in shaping the other into someone they are obviously not.

Later Edit: This entry sounds much more angry than I meant it to be. I was trying to be funny, not defensive. Btw, another scenario for my becoming an axe murder is working with people like those in "The Scientist and the Physicist".

No comments: