Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Exhbits, Readings, and TV

This picture is strange, but I like it. It's from the Mark Moore gallery and painted by artist Julie Heffernan, but unfortunately the photographs of the pictures are too small to appreciate any real detail in them. I would actually love to visit the gallery on May 23rd, hint hint.


My mind refuses to settle down, jumping from one project to the next. It's searching for something to involve it totally and completely in the way it wants, to provide it with what it needs, responsibility be damned. It wants to learn seven new things literally at once.

I also watched the new episode of "Castle". The difference between "Castle" and the other shows I am watching is that I actively look forward to it. I would say that I even like it better than "Bones", which has regained its standing as one of my favorite shows, even though the two are very different. Of course, "Castle" parodies "Bones" in some ways. Yesterday when I was incapacitated I finished catching up on all of the new "Bones"; that's a lot of TV. "The Double Dearly Departed" had me laughing throughout almost the entire episode and was probably my favorite of all of the new ones.

Anyways, later on I no doubt will come back to talk about some of the things I have learned today. For those who live in or by Los Angeles, LACMA currently has an exhibit about Pompeii's art and culture on display. Perhaps that's something I could see on, say, the 24th, provided it's convenient. Also, apparently there is a Lebowski fest taking place on May 7th?

I'm reading and to some extent accidentally destroying a book called The Morphology of the Folktale by Propp, an analysis of forty-two Russian folktales in an attempt to scientifically study fairy tale structure. Propp was very influenced by the anthropologist Levi-Strauss, which is why at one point I requested that book back. The problem is that the study is so mathematical it makes me feel like studying pure math, so I've been jumping between it and Linear Algebra. I also got this strange urge to read the Tale of Genjii at one point.

No comments: