Saturday, April 4, 2009

Before I Go To Bed

I've made a lot of posts with feministic undertones lately, which is interesting considering that I don't spend that much time thinking about the subject. Equal rights, equal pay, and the ability to be able to do what we wish is all that my opinion ultimately boils down to, and I rarely, if ever associate with an environment where simply being a woman is a problem, though as my previous post details I have been very lucky in my interactions with other people. As applied to my personal life, my opinion has practically become "Ok, I'm a girl. Can we move on to other things?"
Perhaps that is why I keep posting on this subject, as this no-brainer for me is extremely complicated for much of the rest of the world, and a relatively quick search of the internet can support this statement. Feminism has also produced that interesting dynamic which accompanies a lot of discrimination; people of one sector of society rebelling against genuine discrimination, people of another sector rebelling against imagined discrimination and the resulting backlash against the entire movement from those prejudiced against the movement as a whole and people tired of hearing about a movement they view as outdated or producing a large population of over-reactive participants. The movement looses momentum as a result of both, infinitely complicating the process of removing the rest of the actual discrimination. The interesting thing to me would be determining factually how large of a role the backlash against overly active participants contributes to the inertia of a movement as a whole, but, of course, that would be horribly complicated.
Speaking of feminism, it disturbs me to think that my skinny body could fuel other's self esteem issues or that a person could have a negative reaction to me because he or she thinks that I am deliberately trying to look like a waif. I was born this way! Why can't we just acknowledge that various healthy women with various metabolisms are pretty? No-brainer, right there.

No comments: