Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Television: To thee I Dedicate a Ballad of Love and Hate

I am in love with Firefly's theme song. "Burn the land, boil the seas....you can't take the sky from me-ee.."
Speaking of Firefly, I finished the series today. As a result I rented "Serenity" and am going into Whedon withdrawal. I have decided that I really prefer the characterization of Mal in the show and that the indiscretions of Jayne in the movie do not make sense considering his and Mal's history, much like River and Simon having to earn acceptance in both the movie and the series.

Random train of thought: Once, very late at night, I decided to check out the show "The Secret Diary of a London Call Girl", a Showtime re-airing of a British series. I had heard good reviews about the show and needed something humorous at the time. It actually turned out to be entertaining , but I got bored after the sixth episode where the airy fluffiness of the series triumphed over the characterization and drama of the writing. As expected, the show is a "subtle" advocate for traditional values which contains a lot of skin(though, unexpectedly, very unsubtle fellatio. As in penii are involved). Hannah, the main character, postulates that she fell into her job after graduating because her degree could not help her find another one and that she really enjoys having sex. She leads a completely separated double-life as Hannah and Belle, her call girl alias. None of her friends or family are aware of what she does. The show, at least the episodes I watched, focuses on the fact that sex is inevitably tied to emotion and the stigma surrounding prostitution beside the air-filled plot full of etiquette, "glamour", and lots of skin. There is also the episode where a client's wife follows him to Belle's apartment and the other episode where I learned a lot about being a dominatrix. Ah, theoretical knowledge, how I will never, ever, use you. Hannah seems to have some sort of sex addiction because of the amount her life revolves around the act. Also, condoms and STDs apparently don't exist.

I then learned that the series was based on a book which was based on an anonymous blog written by a real-life prostitute, Belle de Jour. Eyebrows were raised and I decided to pay a visit to the site. Honestly whether Belle is a call girl or not she is much more interesting than the Hannah on the show, with an active social life, an interest in books, a degree, and a family that knows she is involved in the adult industry. She has now quit sex work, but from what I read of her diary she never felt secretly guilty of the life she was leading and quit because she truly wants to make a difference in the world. Sex will never mean the same thing to the both of us, but if that is the way she truly feels, more power to her. I'm sure my thumbs up will mean the world to her, lol. FYI, prostitution is apparently legal in London.

This was completely not the topic I meant to write on when I came to my blog, but this is what it is, I guess.
Publish Post


Oh, and if my dreams involve this video, you will totally pay, Chris:

No comments: