Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Doctors are Fun! End: Review, 2nd Castle Episode

From Getty Images

So today I awoke from bed, showered, dressed, and went to the doctor's appointment I mentioned yesterday. I thought that it would only take an hour in my silly, silly brain. Oh Marisa, it has been too long since you've been to a general practitioner. Even though I pre-filled out the paperwork and this was a small clinic, it took about forty-five minutes for me to be seen. In the mean time I browsed through magazines of various shape and informativeness. I attempted to give the New Yorker a chance even though it has always managed to annoy me in some way, but after the first sentence of extremely pretentious writing I put the magazine down and fumed temporarily for all the unemployed authors in the country. Then I tried the Atlantic, which had an interesting article on the fact that we need to mine or export the minerals in environmentally-friendly electronics, etc from somewhere, and, while in the United States there are many environmental regulations, in places like China where it is cheaper to obtain them from there are not. The details were new although the premise was not, as it probably isn't to anyone else reading this. I'm hoping the next phase of environmentalism focuses on ecologically friendly usage of our natural resources, which has taken a backseat for the moment. The problem was that the article focused on Neodymium, which has large usage outside of "environmentally friendly products". For those who don't know, Neodymium is used to create the strongest magnets which have many industrial and technological applications. I used to be really into magnets for a little while. Don't ask.

After finding out that I weigh 78 pounds and am still five feet tall, which took away some of my guilt for eating candy with my morning chocolate milk(Breakfast. I ate candy for breakfast.) two days in a row, I got to browse through National Geographic for a while. This magazine incorrectly identified mosquito fish as environmentally friendly which they are not since they are aggressive and breed rapidly. I started reading an article on reducing energy usage and thought about my own environmental footprint. Naturally, I try and make this as low as possible: all the bulbs in regular use in my house are CFLs(These contain mercury, in case you didn't know. Fun fact. Recycle, don't throw them out!), I've been taking shorter showers, don't run the dishwasher without a full load, etc. Basically, the worst thing I do is run my space heater because my feet are always cold and the heater is the only thing which helps them. My parents brought out the heater that kept me warm when I was a baby one winter when I was wearing a sweater and socks but still shivering. I've been hooked on them ever since, but my electricity bill still dropped $20 last month, so I must be doing something right. Anyways, the doctor was a nice man who prescribed me a muscle relaxant to help increase the effectiveness of the physical therapy.

I walked to Ralph's and bought some food and a bunch of soup, some of which I later discovered has meat in it. Then I walked home and, after reading Gawker for ten minutes, re-started work on the Rat Brain project, which is what I did until 5:00pm. My head still hurts from doing this. Went to UCSD and then to my second doctor's appointment, the one whom I see regularly. He gave me free samples so that I wouldn't have to go to the pharmacy, because he is AWESOME. Note that if I had to pay every time I got my medicine it would be $40 each time.
Now I am home and not working on the Rat Brain until tomorrow because if I do right now my head will explode all over my desk.

Watch this:


Today's Wiki anniversaries: Australia was discovered and Hair premiered today.

I forgot that I had watched the second episode of "Castle" recently. This time the writing was much better, with the exception of one over-drawn monologue by the character Castle himself. The show is pulpy, so if you like that genre, I would definitely take a look. So far, nothing besides that and Nathan Fillian stand out about the show, but I'm rooting for it to develop into something above average. I'm about to watch episode three. The song from the first one is still stuck in my head, which apparently is "So What" by Pink.

No comments: