Monday, April 27, 2009

The I in the Me

Dev Patel and Frieda Pinto are dating in real life, which I personally find really awwwwwww. I wish them luck.

I was just attempting to mediate, because, like Yoga, I've only ever heard of the benefits of doings so, and the few times I seriously have attempted to it was a worthwhile experience. The problem is that the burning thought that appears in my mind when doing so is questioning the benefit of letting go of the "I". That "I", the most objective, rational part of myself, has in fact saved me on several occasions, has helped me make the best decisions, and overall has proved indispensable in my life. Maybe the universe can make better decisions for me? I don't know, but in the portion of my life that I spent without that part of myself I felt as though I was drowning in emotions and sensations. Perhaps if I spend more time meditating I can discover the meaning of this. Enlightenment, to me, is a paradox: joining with the universe and the ultimate discovery of the self.

It's sort of saddening that this type of talk is generally attributed to stoners and lost, trendy people nowadays.

I wonder how much of meditation is beneficial because of the thought processes involved, the physical processes involved, and the placebo affect involved.

No comments: