Saturday, April 11, 2009

Listening

I am alert to whispers but horrible at to listening to lectures. It's great because I get access to all of this personal information which I don't want to know but have trouble paying attention to things that I actually want to learn. Part of my problem is that in order to process most efficiently what someone else is saying I usually cannot be looking at him or her because I start observing his/her* gesticulations, expressions, and mannerisms. Then I start wondering about his/her background: where he/she went to school, how he/she related to people during high school and college, if he/she is married and how happily. Lately I've also had a problem with my mind generally wandering away. There are also all of those other distracting people in the room, and, sometimes, trying to avoid staring at the person across from you to keep from freaking them out.

I guess that this means that I would be a great huntress or politician, except for all of my other qualities that would make me horrible at both of those professions. Although, huntress really isn't a profession.

*Yes, yes, pick a pronoun after the first sentence makes your writing cleaner blahblahblah can't hear you.

No comments: