Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Meeting Anthony

So, I've had an interesting day so far.
I woke up late. After getting ahold of Ilya I managed to talk to Afif, who pointed out that we had section together in a couple of hours. Good job, Marisa. Anyhow, I spent twenty minutes tearing up my apartment to find the flash drive with no success, as I reported to Afif. I did not report the part where I felt horribly guilty over the situation, but I think he got the gist of "I'm sorry". I went to genetics and then the library.
I think the most normal setting which would be my preferred preference for a home would be a huge library surrounded by nature. Of course I also like having resources and work nearby, so there have to be some tradeoffs.
Also, I really like the smell of old books.
I found the Call of the Toad and then Wagner's Ring cycle, which was in a section devoted to folklore. No matter how many folk stories you read there are always more, such as the bigger and fatter book of Indian folklore on the shelf that stared at me after I finished the two hundred and fifty page book on the subject that I had bought. But I did finish the only enormous book on Italian folklore I think we have, hah! Anyways, at this point I went for the bus.
When I leave the bus a guy who has gotten off at the same stop starts to talk to me. My guard is immediately somewhat raised as my experiences with random men have not been the greatest in the past. He asks me if I go to the university and what I'm studying, then identifies himself as a German foreign exchange graduate student studying economics and psychology. We talk in nanobits about Germany, the contrasts of European and American culture, economics, and American foreign policy. As we get to the last stoplight leading to my apartment my guard raises a little further, as I don't want someone whom I have just met knowing where I live even if he seems nice enough. I ask him where he lives and he points to the complex next to mine. He's not going any further in the direction I am, though, so we stop and exchange numbers, saying that perhaps we'll meet up on Friday at UCSD for lunch. He saw my phone, which says "I love Chris" with a picture, so I'm hoping he got the idea.
The most interesting part, though, was when he noticed the books I was carrying.
"You're reading Wagner?"
"Yes, I'm interested in his literature. I'm not an anti-semite, though."
" But what's the one town you associate with Wagner?"
I don't know.
"Bayreuth. I was born in Bayreuth. Wow, that's metaphysical.
You know, Wagner was a raging egomaniac. He deliberately built a new opera house in this small town so that people would have to make a pilgrimage there."
I didn't know that either!
So that was the randomest part of my day. Oh, and I past my house and waited for a little while after crossing the parking lot...just in case he is a creepy stalker.

No comments: