Saturday, April 18, 2009

Goths and Me and The Hipster Grifter

A bit of news: I have been reading about Hipster Grifter Kari Ferrell who conned her way into a job at "Vice" magazine while being wanted for $60,000 of fraud and retail theft in Utah. Apparently she lures people into her net through a cleverly crafted hipster persona, posing as clever, charismatic, music-loving, and sexually aggressive, then grifts whatever she can off of whoever falls for her stories. Her favorite lies are having cancer and being pregnant or suicidal.

So we now move on to the "Goths and Me" part of the title of this entry. I am actually a bit more familiar with this subculture than people realize. When I was going through the worst part of my depression four years ago there were aspects of it that seemed appealing to me, such as its appreciation for fairy tales, the supernatural, literature, and, honestly, at the time, the clothing style, if it wouldn't have taken an hour and a half to have gotten dressed. Of course, I am no appreciator of the macabre or the overly pretentious. Dark art can be beautiful and fascinating, but it will never strike a chord like many other things do for me. In short, I am too biased towards the "light", and happy about this, to ever be a goth. Honestly, part of my reason for exploring the "dark" was because I'd never been and all I found was smoke and illusion, so I left, slightly irritated for ever wandering in in the first place. There is nowhere in me now that wonders.

No comments: